The gravity bong also known as bucket bong is a long held stoner tradition that not only allows you to get super-duper baked, but it also teaches you about physics. In fact, I once got an “A” in a physics class for building a gravity bong to explain concepts within the class.
The Gravity Bong aka Bucket Bong ?
A bucket bong is a device you submerge in water to allow the water pressure to take the hit for you, filling up the chamber. Once the chamber is filled, you simply push down on the device and let gravity shoot the weed right into your lungs. This is what a gravity bong consists of:
- A bucket – Where you’ll be filling in the water and submerging your bong. This needs to be roughly the same size of your bong because you will need to submerge most of your bong in the water, right before it reaches the bowl.
- A plastic bottle – Normally people use a 2-liter bottle but really, any bottle will do. The trick here is to cut off completely the bottom part of the bottle. This will allow you to submerge the bottle into the water and allow gravity to do the work.
- A bowl – For us old school stoners, our bowls were aluminum, however you can fit any bowl into the mouthpiece of the bottle. Just make sure that it’s airtight. If you’re using aluminum, you’ll want to poke holes into the bowl so that air can flow through.
- Reefer – What else but some good ol’ ganja!
- Tutorial – How to make a bucket bong
The Difference Between A Glass Bong And A Gravity Bong
Usually gravity bongs are built, however I have seen a few designs that do not use water. We won’t be talking about those for now. The major difference between a glass bong and a gravity is that a gravity will take the hit for you. You won’t need to be hitting it while the chamber fills with smoke. I still prefer glass to plastic, but when you have a stoner party…a gravity bong is almost akin to a beer bong. It is a party trick!
Your bucket bong will also not be a permanent solution. We did once make one out of a 20-liter water bottle and it did last us several months. However, let me tell you something about making a gravity that big…it takes multiple lungs to clear the smoke and if you don’t do it fast enough, the smoke goes stale. I find that a 2 or a 3-liter bottle works best.
Other than these differences, a bucket bong is just a bong like all the rest.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of A Gravity Bong
A bucket is a great bong if you want to get high as a kite. The reason is because once you fill the chamber with smoke, the gravity shot guns the smoke into your lungs. With a traditional bong, the smoke comes in evenly, however with a grav it comes in all at ones.
The disadvantage of a gravity bong is that you need water, a bucket and time. It can get messy if you are not careful and most importantly, I have seen noob stoners do this often enough, by submerging the gravity too deep into the water you might end up wetting your weed…and everyone is going to hate you for it.