Our furry little friends suffer from much the same things we do, including anxiety. This can be observed through how they react to loud noises such as thunder, fireworks or doors banging which are classified as situational anxiety and behavioral anxiety which could manifest during separation from a familiar person or place. An anxious dog will pace, pant, whimper, tremble, act aggressively and may even pee or poo on the floor despite being house trained. If you’re wondering what you can do to help them, then consider CBD oil to stop and prevent your dog’s anxiety episodes.
What Is CBD Oil For Dogs?
CBD is short for Cannabidiol which is an extract from the hemp plant. The compound is extracted from the parent plant without using harmful chemical solvents that would affect your dog. Due to its purity, it doesn’t not contain such psychoactive substances like THC that would affect the dog negatively causing even more anxiety. The composition of the CBD dog treats is well balanced and measured out, therefore can be administered without fear of overdosing.
What Mechanism Does The CBD Oil Use To Calm Your Dog?
Recent scientific studies have discovered the endocannabinoid system in mammals that is very similar in humans as well as dogs. CBD extracts interact directly with this naturally occurring nerve receptor system found in all organs including the central nervous system, heart and brain when they enter the body.
An imbalance in Body chemicals is the root of all types of anxiety. When CBD oils enter the system, they stimulate the body’s natural ability to produce serotonin which is a mood stabilizer causing soothing and calming for the body naturally, therefore, relieving tension.
CBD has also been shown to cause regeneration of new brain cells in the hippocampus which is primarily in charge of creating memory and cognition. This is great because it has been found that brains predisposed to depression and anxiety have smaller hippo campuses. Therefore by growing cells in this part of the brain aided by cannabinoids, the dog is less predisposed to getting anxiety episodes.
Benefits Of CBD Oil For Dogs:
When it comes to treating anxiety or unusual levels of aggression in your dog, CBD is extremely calming. The CBD oil treats should be administered to the dog at least 30 minutes before the dog is exposed to a situation that could cause it to feel anxious such as traveling or being amongst large crowds. However, for CBD oil to be completely effective, it should be used alongside special training for dogs that help them deal with stressful circumstances.
CBD oils are a natural alternative for other anxiety medicine that causes detrimental side effects such as diarrhea, stomach aches, increased urination, elevated aggression as well as drowsiness. There is no guarantee that these prescription drugs will be effective for your dog. However, due to the mechanism used by CBD oil extracts, the dog’s body system is bound to react positively towards oil treatments.
This CBD oil for dogs will apart from calming down your pet, give relief from pain by making painkillers more effective which is another reason why your dog could be uncomfortable. It also prevents cell degenerative diseases that affect the brain by boosting the body’s natural immune system. CBD prevents the production of free radicals that lead to cancerous growths. Some studies have also shown it could help dogs with diabetes. In all these ways, CBD oil for dogs provides wholesome solutions that keep your dog healthy, strong and stress-free.
Choosing The Best CBD Oil For Your Dog
- Good quality CBD oil should be gotten from organically grown hemp plants. The process of extraction should also be carried out using grain alcohol, ethanol, which safely removes toxins from the plant.
- Look out for manufacturers who use petroleum-based Hecate and butane solvents as they are not safe for consumption and may cause harm to your dog.
- The CBD oil product should be independently tested in a certified lab and it’s certificate of analysis should be easy to access. These test results ensure you know exactly what is in the oil you give your dog and in what quantities.
- From the test results, you should be able to ascertain that the CBD oil you’re purchasing does not contain more than 0.3% THC as anything higher can be toxic to dogs.
How To Administer CBD Oils To Dogs For Anxiety
- While CBD oils are non-toxic and have not been found to be capable of causing an overdose, it should be administered in the right dosage in order to work effectively. Although the CBD oils are highly tolerable and have a low probability for side effects, It is advised to monitor the dog’s response to the substance as you introduce it to the dog.
- Depending on the dog’s weight, size, breed and type and degree of anxiety, the average dosage is a few drops of the oil up to five times a day, ideally 1 to 5 milligrams of CBD oil per 10 pounds of the dog’s overall body weight. The drops should be delivered under your dog’s tongue for faster onset. CBD oil is also great because it does not interfere with any other medication that the animal may be on as it is not a pharmaceutical product.
Since the oil in itself is a quite nasty tasting, the substance could be mixed with dog food. One could also opt for the capsules. Alternatively, a dog owner could use CBD oils in for of dog treats. CBD dog treats for anxiety are an easy and fun way of administering the correct dosage prescribed at any time and are discrete as it is not apparent to the dog or others that the dog is on any type of treatment.
Although the prescription of CBD oils whether in tincture, tablet or dog treats may give only temporary relief, it is worth giving it a shot since the dog’s comfort in times of need is the primary objective.