Have you ever heard of Rick Simpson Oil ? If not, I’m sure you’ve heard of medical cannabis oil and its benefits at least. Today we’re going to learn how to DIY the Rick Simpsons oil (RSO) aka Phoenix Tears but first, let me tell you more about Rick.
For more than a decade Rick has been a medical cannabis activist and has been sharing with other people the information about the curative powers of canna-oil. After successfully treating himself from a metastatic skin cancer in 2003, he’s been a dedicated medical canna-oil advocate. Rick believes that using high quality cannabis oil as the primary method of treatment can cure all types of cancer and diseases. Despite the strong opposition from Canadian authorities, government and health agencies, as well as pharmaceutical companies, he continues to help for free. According to Rick Simpsons claims, he has helped over 5,000 patients.
Quite an unbelievable story, right? But it isn’t. People praise this man for helping them to get back to a stable health. And it isn’t like he would sell his oil because it would be illegal. However, as Rick’s has managed to thoroughly document the processes of making the oil, everyone can make it on their own.
The Difference Between The Rick Simpsons Oil (RSO) And The CBD Oil
You might be wondering the same I did when I first heard of it. So, what exactly is the difference?
There are two types of cannabis plants available – cannabis and hemp. Even though both plants belong to the same plant family – cannabis, they are different. Hemp has small flowers with low cannabinoid levels but it has a lot of fiber that has many industrial uses. Cannabis, on the contrary, has big flowers with high levels of cannabinoids but it has very little fiber.
The Rick Simpsons oil is usually extracted from Indica strains which have been proven to be better for medical use in general. This oil has high levels of THC and other cannabinoids. Depending on the strain used, it can contain around 50-60% THC and 10-15% CBD. On the contrary, the CBD oil has high levels of CBD but has very little amounts of THC.
It’s proven that THC as a psychoactive component is very important in any cannabis-based treatment method. Moreover, the CBD oil is often made with an olive oil. That makes it more expensive and harder to digest because it has to be consumed in larger amounts to reach the necessary medical effects. However, to get the original Rick Simpsons oil one has to use the ethanol method. This method allows making a highly concentrated cannabis extract with high levels of THC.
Let’s get to work.
- 1 ounce of dried, decarboxylated herb
- 2 gallons of solvent (ether, butane, or 99% isopropyl alcohol)
- 2 plastic buckets
- a clean, untreated wooden stick
- a coffee filter
- a clean container
- a fan
- a rice cooker
- a stainless steel container
- a dehydrator or a coffee warmer
Step By Step Process Of Making Rick Simpsons Oil / RSO
The following instructions are summarized from the original recipe available on Rick Simpsons website. You can also find information about the dosage of the oil there.
From an ounce of marijuana you can get approximately 3-4 grams of oil. However, the amount of oil extracted can vary depending on the strain used. From a pound, it is possible to get around two ounces of canna-oil. So, if you want more oil, you will need a big stash of marijuana.
Part I – Extracting THC
- Put your ounce of weed in a plastic bucket.
- Pour 500ml of solvent over it.
- Crush the buds, using the wooden stick. If you don’t have a wooden stick, you can use any other tool for crushing a plant material. Just make sure it’s clean.
- First wash: add more solvent, so the buds are completely covered and soaked. Continue crushing them. Then give them a good stir – that is going to help THC wash off the buds and into the solvent.
- Pour the solvent and oil mix into the other bucket. This mix contains about 75-80% of THC.
- Second wash: add a new portion of solvent to your buds that you worked before. Crush them and stir them again to get the remainig THC.
- Add the solvent and oil mix from the second wash to the first portion.
- Discard the buds used.
- Filter the final mix in a clean container, using the coffee filter.
Part II – Extracting the Oil
- Boil off the solvent: pour the filtered mixture in the rice cooker and boil on a high heat regime.
- Be aware: Be extremely careful with boiling the solvent – the fumes are flammable. DO NOT use anything that could create sparks during this process. If you want to do it indoors, put a fan near the rice cooker to blow the fumes away. Otherwise, do it in a well-ventilated place.
- If the mixture doesn’t fit in the cooker, continue adding it as the solvent evaporates.
- As the level decreases, add some drops of water (about 10 drops per ounce of dry buds). This will protect the oil from overheating and help to release solvent leftovers.
- When there is approximately 1 inch of the mixture left in the rice cooker, pick up the inner pot and swirl the mixture till the solvent finishes boiling off.
- After the solvent has been released, turn your rice cooker to low heat regime. Let it cool down. After that, you turn it back to high heat again, bring the oil to a simmer, and turn the low heat for the second time.
- When the oil has cooled down, pour it into a stainless steel container.
- Place the stainless steel container on a coffee warmer to release the remains of water and terpenes. When there is no bubbling on the surface, the oil is ready for use.
- Cool down the oil and put it into a clean container. It is better to draw up the oil in a plastic syringe while it’s warm. As the oil cools down it thickens, so the plastic syringe is a great tool for later application.
The Benefits of Rick Simpsons Oil
To conclude, without a doubt cannabis oil is gaining recognition for its medical value all around the world. Not only it can be an effective remedy for all types of cancer. It can also be used for the treatment of numerous other illnesses and conditions like anorexia, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, neurodegenerative disorders, osteoporosis and many others. It also helps to relieve such symptoms as pain, inflammation, and nausea.
Making your own oil can be challenging but it’s still fairly easy. Moreover, it’s quite a rewarding feeling because you’ve made your own medicine.
Do you know any other ways of making medical cannabis oil? Leave a comment below!